Students may request cancellation from a term AFTER having paid fees but BEFORE the first day of classes; in this case, students will receive a full refund minus some administrative charges. To cancel their registration, students should meet with their academic advisor and go to the Registrar’s Office, 1113 Murphy Hall, and fill out a Cancellation of Registration Petition.

Students may declare non-attendance via MyUCLA prior to the start of the quarter. All students who wish to withdraw from the University after instruction begins must file a Withdrawal Notice form.

Failing to attend classes, neglecting courses, or stopping payment on checks tendered for registration does not constitute notice of withdrawal. A fine is assessed if any payment for registration fees is returned by a bank for any reason, including stopped payment or insufficient funds.

Students who withdraw from the School for more than one quarter must apply for readmission, and in some instances, re-audition into their studio.


UCLA offers a Planned Academic Leave (PAL) for undergraduate students to study abroad on non-UC programs. To be granted an academic leave, students register online after having been accepted into a non-UC program. There is no fee for registering for PAL. While on PAL, students automatically receive enrollment appointments (1st and 2nd pass) to enroll from abroad for the UCLA courses they will need upon return to campus.


To return to the University after an absence of more than one term, students must complete an Undergraduate Readmission Application and follow procedures outlined by the Registrar’s Office. Music and Global Jazz Studies majors needing individual instruction are also required to re-audition with the department faculty.