Courses and Enrollment
The Ethnomusicology minor consists of approximately 31-32 units. A maximum of 20 units applied toward the minor requirement must be in addition to units applied toward major requirements or another minor.
One Lower Division Core Course (5 units)
- Ethnomusicology 5: Music Around World or
- Ethnomusicology 25: Global Pop
One Lower Division Distribution Course (4-5 units)
- Ethnomusicology 7, M12A, M12B, 15,30, M35, 40, 45, M50A, M50B, 60, or M73
One Upper Division Core Course (4 units)
- Ethnomusicology 101: Introduction to Ethnomusicology
Three Upper Division Ensemble Courses (3 courses, 6 units)
- Ethnomusicology 161A through 161z
Three Upper Division Elective Courses (3 courses, 12 units)
- Any upper division course of at least four units drawn from the department’s offerings (no more than one course from 195 to 199)
- If the course is restricted to majors only, feel free to email the instructor to introduce yourself as a minor student and ask if they would be willing to allow you to take the course.
How to Apply
If you are interested in adding the Ethnomusicology minor, please email Tabetha Van Heest at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment. Though the Ethnomusicology minor is not impacted, there is still an application process including a statement of intent, degree planner, and undergraduate program change petition.
Completion or current enrollment in Ethnomusicology 5 or 25 AND
Completion or current enrollment in two lower division ethnomusicology ensemble courses
- Ethnomusicology 91A through 91Z
Students must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing with at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
For questions related to the application process, fulfilling prerequisites, and degree progress, please contact:
Tabetha Van Heest
Ethnomusicology Minor Advisor
Schoenberg Music Building 2525