Enrollment is conducted via the university’s computer enrollment system, URSA Online. Open enrollment is allowed until the end of the third week of the quarter. Late fees are assessed after the second week.

Some students may need a “PTE” (Permission to Enroll) number from you, the instructor, in order to enroll in the class. You would give these numbers to students who show up on the first day, but have not been able to enroll in your course via URSA, either because 1.) the course requires them to obtain instructor consent in order to enroll, or 2.) because the course is full and the student needs special permission from you in order to enroll.

The computer system called “MyUCLA” allows you to get PTE numbers to give to students. Go to and click “Yes,” stating that you will abide by the MyUCLA privacy rules. You will then be on a page that has your name at the top and lists the courses that you are teaching. Each course listed will have a series of links connected to it. You get your PTE numbers by clicking the link “PTE” for each class.

To get your enrollment roster, click the link called “Roster” for each class. You should check all course rosters, as well as the roster for any discussion sections assigned to your class, for accuracy. It is OK to remind students who are not on your list that they still must enroll. It is, of course, ultimately the student’s responsibility for correct and timely enrollment.

Once a class has reached its assigned enrollment capacity, students are passed on to a “wait list”. Students will remain on the waitlist until Friday of the second week when the wait list is dropped. If you wish to discuss the possibility of changing either the enrollment or waitlist capacity, see your department’s Chair’s Assistant.

It is sometimes not under the control of the instructor to increase the enrollment capacity of a class. One reason for this is room size. The number of students enrolled in a course cannot exceed the Fire Marshall’s limit on the number of people that a room will hold.


Permission to enroll numbers (PTE numbers) give you, the faculty, control over who is allowed in the class. Some classes, i.e. ethnomusicology performance organizations, jazz combos, chamber ensembles and a few other classes/seminars, normally require all students to use a PTE number to enroll; other classes use them only when the enrollment capacity has been reached or when a student does not meet the posted restriction on the class.

Anytime you give a student a PTE number, you have given permission for that student to enroll in your class at any time. PTE numbers are tied to a specific section so a number generated for Ethno 91T cannot be used for Ethno 191T, etc. A PTE number can be used only once so you need to keep a record of which numbers you have given out.


Undergraduate students may add through the third week and drop through the fourth week through URSA OnLine. Graduate students may add or drop through URSA OnLine until the end of week 10. Late fees are assessed.


An online “electronic gradebook” is available through This allows you keep track of your students, contact them, set up grading weights, keep track of grades for various aspects of the course, share this information with your TAs and submit your final grades to the Registrar–all from the comfort of your own home. A demonstration version of the electronic gradebook is available at To set up your own, get your Bruin OnLine logon and go to There is a support contact on the website; a users manual is also available from them.

“Gradebook Express” allows you to simply submit grades to the Registrar’s Office without using the more complicated “gradebook.” Go to


A student may withdraw from any quarter up until the last day of instruction, provided he/she has not taken any final examinations or completed any of their courses in any way.


In the Fall of 2017, the university instituted an additional requirement for logging in to proprietary university systems such as MyUCLA.  Instructions for setting up multi-factor authentication can be found at:  If you have difficulty with this process, please contact for additional assistance.


With the permission of the instructor and department, it is possible for individuals who are not UCLA students to enroll in regular courses through UCLA Extension’s Concurrent Enrollment program. For more information, go to UCLA Extension Student Enrollment and scroll down to “Concurrent Enrollment.”


The department gives University credit to undergraduate majors in ethnomusicology who have the world music concentration who wish to study privately with community musicians trained in traditions that are not offered in the regular curriculum. These lessons can count as credit toward the undergraduate degree. Please note that private lessons paid for by the student are expected to take place off-campus, not at UCLA. Also, note that graduate students MAY NOT enroll in these courses.

Students who wish to enroll in Ethnomu 92 or 162 must receive approval of their proposed instructor by a faculty committee. As well, a number of contracts and forms must be filled out and signed. Students must submit all paperwork to Undergraduate Advisor Brenda Galvez before the deadline (Friday of the first week of the quarter), in order to give the department time to review and approve or disapprove the student’s proposal before enrollment deadlines. For more information go to Private Instruction in Music.


Ethnomusicology majors may receive University credit for participating in community or corporate internships. Students have the choice of taking Ethnomu 195A (for anyone majoring in ethnomusicology), or Ethnomu 195B (for ethnomusicology majors who are in the Public Ethnomusicology emphasis). For information go to Internship Courses or speak with Undergraduate Advisor Brenda Galvez in Room 1642 SMB.


Faculty of the Department of Ethnomusicology have agreed upon the following policy concerning the ETHNOMU 197 Special Studies courses:

1) ETHNOMU 197 is reserved for majors — or in special instances majors from cognate disciplines (e.g. anthropology, folklore, world arts and cultures, area or ethnic studies centers);

2) An ETHNOMU 197 topic will be approved only when that topic is not offered as a course during the academic year in question;

3) ETHNOMU 197 is available only to students with senior standing.

4) ETHNOMU 197 may be offered only by Academic Senate faculty.